Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Grade 3 Curriculum Plan 2014 - 2015

Our plan for Grade 3:


Reading (Structured):
All About Reading






Phonics
Explode the Code workbooks




Spelling
All About Spelling











Creative Writing
"Just Write" by EPS
(ended up not using this... we don't do creative writing till upper elementary)
















Math
Singapore Math Primary U.S. Edition
Manipulatives from Learning Resources
(We ended up switching to CLE Math which we've stuck with for the last couple years! Love it!)





Handwriting

Handwriting Without Tears - Printing Power,

(Why 3 different ones? HWT is the easiest but not quite enough practice, I like the style of cursive in ARFH better and it's extra practice. The Scripture verses are a nice touch. Draw. Write. Now. is just a fun addition and doesn't even feel like work, it also doubles as credit for art.) **We ended up switching to Zaner-Bloser which I prefer for Grade 2 and 3.








History
Story of the World Volume 1: Ancient Times
with supplemental books, videos & activities. This was the highlight of our year.






















History Through the Ages: A Record of Time - Binder and figures











Science

Originally I was planning on doing Apologia but after going through several of the books I decided to stick with something written by actual scientists.

Unit Studies, some I'll put together myself and some I'll use from Eclectic Homeschooling.

"Elementary Science Education: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding" by Nebel  ***Update: We ended up not doing this, though we did read some of the books on the book list. My son was accelerating so quickly in science that nothing I could find was appropriate. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely choose Mystery Science for grade 3. We tried it this year with my kids and it was a big hit.


























Geography/Mapping Skills

Canada Map Book 1 by Apple Press

















The Complete Book of Maps and Geography
























Social Studies


I bought "Canada, My Country" by Donna Ward but I don't like it. We'll read some of the books listed but that's about it. I found free printable's about each Province from Crayola Canada online and he is learning about the flags, Provincial birds, etc. that way.
















Our Communities Outlooks 3 by Oxford Press
(If I can get a hold of a copy, if not then I'll just put together a unit study this year or use the "Let's Discover Canada" workbook from Apple Press. The Ontario textbook "Discovering Communities" is also available at our local library but I'd prefer the B.C. curriculum).

























Computer Skills
Keyboarding Without Tears (this was a bust, it had too many glitches!! Not a good program. Ended up getting the MAC Typing Instructor app in Grade 5 and that has been working very well).












Fine Arts
"Drawing With Children" Monart Method drawing course






















Music
Piano Lessons - Little Mozarts 4 and Faber 1


Poetry (for "Poetry Tea's" and Unit Study)
"A Child's Introduction to Poetry"


















"The Llama Who Had No Pajama"























"Talking Like the Rain"

























Languages
Song School Latin (this is meant for younger kids, but for my kids it was not a good fit until later grades. I regret selling this a couple years ago)

















Bible Study

"What's in the Bible?" with Buck Denver DVD series #1 - #7



Bible Devotionals
Kenneth Taylor books
























Read Alouds
Various choices from Sonlight.com, "The Well Trained Mind", Ambleside Online, Veritas Press, etc. Preference given to award winners, books that correspond with our history lessons, and biographies.



Extra's

If time and money allow I'd love to get started with an Astronomy software like Starry Night.






No comments: